ANYONE SERIOUS ABOUT HOCKEY SHOULD BE PLAYING LACROSSE
From Gretzky to Tavares, Shanahan to Stamkos, Canadian-born NHLers recommend playing lacrosse in the spring/summer to improve hockey skills.
Hockey and lacrosse are very similar sports.
Both hockey and lacrosse are high tempo, physical team sports that have similar elements to the game. Both sports utilize 5 players and a goalie, three periods and strategy of developing odd-man situations to create scoring opportunities. Hockey players excel in Lacrosse. And, in turn, they become markedly better hockey players.
Comparatively, lacrosse is a much less expensive sport than hockey and uses much of the same protective upper body equipment.
- Hockey players benefit from lacrosse by developing:
- develops stick handling creativity
- develops creativity in tight areas
- reading the play offensively
- develops strong, dynamic defensive tactics
- builds up strength and endurance
- helps prevent sport burn-out by playing a new, fast-paced sport
- increases hand-eye coordination
- teaches players to play with their head up and to be more aware of their surroundings
- reinforces the importance of quickness and agility around the net
- builds self esteem, respect, integrity and fairness
- teaches leadership skills
- learn to play both offensive and defensive positions and make a quick transition from defense to offence and vice versa
- scoring skills are honed by shooting at smaller targets and picking corners
- teaches the creativity of fakes, back passes and shots
- develop the use of both hands
Here is a short list of famous hockey players who benefited from playing lacrosse!
Dave Andreychuk, Adrian Aucoin, Matt Barnaby, John Barrett, Brian Bellows, Jack Bionda, David Bolland, Connor Brown, Dustin Brown, Codi Ceci, Gerry Cheevers, Paul Coffey, Paul Coffey, Lionel Conacher, Max Domi, Rick Dudley, Ben Eager, Jordan Eberle*, Dan Ellis, Doug Evans, Doug Favell, John Ferguson, Sam Gagne, Ryan Getzlaf*, Doug Gilmour, Wayne Gretzky, Seth Griffit, Cody Hodgson, ?Gordie Howe, Paul Kariya, Chris Kunitz*, John Maclean, Connor Mcdavid, Ron Meighen, Sean Monahan, Matt Moulson, Riley Nash, Joe Nieuwendyk, Darnell Nurse, Adam Oates, Bobby Orr, Darren Pang, Bob Probert, Kyle Quincey, Mike Ridley, Brett Ritchie, Nick Ritchie, Gary Roberts, Gary Roberts, Cliff Ronning, Joe Sakic, Marc Savard, Brendan Shanahan, Devin Shore, Shawn Simpson, Brendan Smith, Reilly Smith, Steven Stamkos, Mark Stone, Ryan Strome, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews, Kyle Turns, Jason Ward, and Jason York.